Applications and advantages of lasers in dentistry
1. Dental caries
- preparation of the carious cavity can be made only by laser, without drills
- the laser sterilizes deeply the dental tissues and prevents the recidivating of the caries
- the laser prepares the carious cavity in an irregular form ("fish scales") and contributes to the stability in time of the filling (the acid etch of the carious cavity is no longer necessary).
2. Laser bleaching
- the laser bleaching is more efficient than the classic bleaching and is accomplished during one session.
- it can be realized fully with the laser, starting from the incision, continuing with the bone resection, the root apex resection and then the removal of infected peri-apical tissue
- the major advantages are: the lack of bleeding (this leads to a higher visibility of the surgery field), the deep sterilization of the osseous and root tissues (this prevents the recidivism) and also the reducing of post-surgical pain and edema.
- for all types of periodontical affections, the utilization of the laser is a very efficient way to sterilize and remove correctly the inflamed and necrotic tissue from the internal surface of the gums.
- removal of the inflamed tissue from the bone and root surface sterilization is realized more efficiently than through classic procedures.
- the laser can be used for the implant release after healing, for sinus-lifting, and also for the removal of granulomatous tissue and implant decontamination in peri-implantitis
- Other applications in oral surgery: - abscess incision, frenectomy, retained tooth release, operculotomy, gingivoplasty, gingivectomy, vestibuloplasty, hemangioma removal, etc.
3. Laser surgery
- laser-assisted sterilization is the most efficient method of root canal sterilization - with laser-assisted sterilization it is possible to avoid surgical intervention in a number of complicated endodontic situations
5. Other applications in dentistry
- sulcus conditioning in order to obtain a better impression in prosthetics, apthae and herpes simplex labialis treatment, desensitization of hypersensitive teeth necks, fissure sealing, crown lengthening, etc.